News

MAHAO PETITIONED TO FORM A NEW PARTY

STAFF WRITERS

An online petition calling on the former Vice Chancellor of the National University of Lesotho (NUL) Professor Nqosa Mahao to start a new political party has surfaced.

“Solve the political situation that could lead to loss of lives and continued suffering of Basotho, in particular, wool and mohair farmers, social grants recipients, factory workers, etc,” the petition reads.

Titled Prof Mahao lead us into the new Political Party, the petition on was published on change.org on Monday with a target of 100 signatories.

By 10:30am on Tuesday the petition had reached 35 signatories.

“The new party with the new mandate and manifesto is just what is needed in Lesotho right now,” said one of the signatories Kholu Mahao.

“I’m signing this with a hope that this man will be a bit more aggressive in driving this economy forward. I also hope he will have among his top priorities; boosting the agricultural sector and dealing with the challenges of food security,” said another signatory Atang Mantutle.

This comes after Mahao was purportedly expelled from the ruling All Basotho Convention (ABC) by the party’s leader Prime Minister Thomas Thabane.

Mahao was elected ABC deputy leader against Thabane’s wishes at the party’s elective conference held in February.

Sam Rapapa and Lebohang Hlaele were elected chairperson and secretary general respectively while Montoeli Masoetsa was elected spokesperson and ‘Matebatso Doti deputy spokesperson.

Their election was challenged in the courts, the first of which was on February 13 2019, when a challenge was mounted in the High Court on an urgent basis against the election alleging certain irregularities.

On June 12, the High Court confirmed the election.

But on June 13 Thabane wrote letters to Mahao, Rapapa, Hlaele, Masoetsa and Doti calling upon them to show cause, within three days, why they should not be expelled from the party for alleged insubordination.

The five members, in their capacity as new National Executive Committee (NEC) members, met on June 14 and resolved not to ratify the action of Thabane but on June 17, he expelled them nonetheless.

They lodged an application in the High Court on June 24 challenging their expulsion. They argued Thabane was intolerant and contemptuous of the High Court order of June 12.

The High Court last week did not find Thabane guilty of contempt of court.

The residual NEC has since announced that it resolved to replenish and strengthen the committee following vacancies created by Mahao and his colleagues’ disputed expulsion, and co-opted Finance Minister Dr Moeketsi Majoro, Kemiso Mosenene, Sentle Rabale and Joel Mohale into the committee.

Majoro was appointed the party’s deputy leader while Mosenene was appointed chairperson.

Rabale and Mohale were appointed spokesperson and deputy spokesperson respectively. NW

Comments (1)

  1. This post is extremely desperate & misleading. Why is it that the author deliberately chose to ignore an important aspect that the court ruling whereby a contempt issue was dismissed hinged on an already decided case CIV/47/2019? The court did not find the ABC leader contemptuous since it had not given him any specific order on the main case.

    The issue of expulsion was/is supposed to be dealt with afresh in another court. It is therefore misleading to suggest that the dismissal of the contempt case meant confirming the purported dismissals and subsequent substitutions.

    The judgement endorsing the February NEC elections has not been challenged anywhere.

    One wonders why the author deliberately chose to not divulge that the NEC has resolved to suspend the leader and others…!

    Furthermore, the author deliberately forgot to tell that the legal team of the Mahao faction advised that the attempted expulsion (of the 5 members by the leader) is a NULLITY!

Comment here

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.